Monday 30 August 2021

The Peacock 267

 Douglas's feet are bare.  And dirty.  The toenails are rather like a gargoyle´s talons.  I only notice this just now.  His head is meekly bowed before Robert Griffin, who has been lecturing him for the last ten minutes.  Like scolding a naughty child. Douglas doesn't reply, but appears deeply ashamed. Father Griffin himself would be around seventy now, tall and straight, slim, and his hair is becoming rather white these days.  His voice is calm, quiet, and his tone authoritative.   I am annoyed that he so far hasn't acknowledged me.  He hasn't said hi to anyone, just sweeping right inside the house like a corrections officer out to do his duty.

Robert has finished his soft-spoken tirade.  Then Carl says,  "Hey Robert, it's also lovely to see you."

Father Griffin looks at my new friend, and is clearly blushing.  "Oh, I'm so awfully sorry," he says.  "That was horribly rude of me.  But we haven't much time to visit, I'm afraid, Douglas and I have to get going back to Vancouver."

"That shouldn't be necessary", Says Melissa.

We all look her way, rather dumbfounded.

"But Melissa", says Robert, "We have a long drive ahead of us."

"Police are coming for Doug.  You have time to stick around, I'm sure."

"I do beg your pardon?" he says, clearly discombobulated.

"I just got a text from them.  They'll be here in less than five minutes..."

No comments:

Post a Comment