Wednesday 4 October 2023

1020

 Francois continues, "Basically, with a lot of support from unexpected places I got through university rather quickly and enrolled in theological training at  seminary here in British Columbia that also is the location of a Benedictine monastery.  I was ordained when I was twenty-three, since they fast tracked my training, given how short supplied they are for priests in the Roman Catholic Church.  So, I was put immediately to work while living with the brothers at the monastery.  I lasted less than two years, was rescued by Carl and stayed in his house with the community there, then things went sideways.  Anyway, I decided I'd had enough, so I just bailed.

"Were you born in Canada?" says Erik.

"You are asking me this because I am black."

"No.  Because you seem to speak English with an accent.  French, I would say?"

"Um..." and I can tell that François is working really hard at being patient right now..."I was born in Quebec where French is the official language, if that helps at all."

"Oh, yes, sorry", says Erik. "I completely forgot."

And I can tell that Francois is tactfully refusing to reply:  of course you forgot...sure you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment