Tuesday 17 October 2023

The Peacock 1033

 Erik is on the phone.

"Where are you?" he demands, rather in the same tone of voice as Francois when he called me a few minutes ago.

"I just rescued Carl from Wreck Beach and now I'm walking him home."

"You what!  What were you doing down there?"

"It's really a lovely place, you know."

"You've been there?"

"On occasion.  But today no, I simply met him at the top of the trail because he was lost, this being his first time, so now I am providing him safe passage home.  Didn't you ever go there when you were here ten years ago?

He pauses..."once."

"And?"

"Never mind.  You said you'd call me later today.  What happened?"

"I kind of got swept away on a huge gust of God's love.  But here I am now.  How are you?"

"I just woke up.  I fell asleep soon after  our last phone call.  Now I'm wide awake."

"Would you like me to call you on Skype when I get home."

"Could you please?

"Okay, but after I've eaten.  I am famished right now.  See you in about an hour, maybe at nine or so?"

"Very good.  Bye."

And now I feel Carl's arm encircling my shoulders, and it does feel nice as he draws me close to him...

No comments:

Post a Comment