Monday 2 October 2023

The Peacock 1018

 On the first ring Erik picks up.  His face shows tired and pale against a very pale blue hotel room wall.  He looks clearly upset.  But now he is smiling.  Yes, he does love me.

"Christopher" he chimes, almost musically.  "How incredibly good to see you."

"How are you?"

"I got here anyway.  Christ it is so good to see you."

"And you as well.  Where are you staying?"

"I don't even know the name of the hotel.  It doesn't seem that far from the airport."

"how much is this going to cost you?"

"More than I could budget for.  It could set me back at least three thousand Canadian."

"how are you paying for it?"

"I put it all on my Visa."

"You realize that I won't be charging you rent when you're here with us.  You'll be okay."

"Are you sure?"

"The house is all paid for, and Carl has agreed to take care of the property taxes."

"Carl.  Is that your rich Dutch friend?"  He seems a bit terse and uncomfortable.

"Francois is also here."

"I'm sure you'll both get on famously.  And I think you will hit it off with Francois."

"So there's three of you?

"So, here's the plan.  After your quarantine you will be going with us and Carl's mom and two friends of hers to the mansion in the mountains.  Unless you want to stay alone here at the house for a week or two, but I think you really won't want to be alone after your time in the hotel.   I need to square off a couple of things, get my car back and we'll be back here at my father's house in as couple of days."

"It's going to be that simple?"

"Maybe not..."



No comments:

Post a Comment