Tuesday 16 November 2021

The Peacock 342

 We are heading back to the car.  "You told us yesterday about your time in Europe."

Aaron replies ", Yeah, I went to Vondel Park the next day after I was robbed on my first night at knife point.  Then there were these two guys following me all over Amsterdam.  of course, my visit to Vondel simply provided that missing surrealist twist, so that the next morning I was on an early train to Brussels."

"I don't imagine you ever want to go back there."

"On the contrary.  For one thing, the city has really been cleaned up a lot, and for another, if I decide to go back, I'm going to take care to not be stupid when I arrive there.  That was my first international trip, and even though I was thirty-five, and certainly no longer a kid, I was also, back in the day, very naïve, despite the street smarts that I had in Vancouver.  Plus, and this must be a Christian thing, I have always been towards others simply a little bit too trusting."

"So, aren't you afraid of going back there, I mean with the traumatic events that happened?"

"The only times I have ever regretted anything have been those same times when I have caved to fear.  That isn't to say that I will be stupid instead, just a little better informed."

"So, you are going back?"

"I have no idea, but if I ever feel that that is a direction I should take, then I will just do it."

"Hang the  consequences."

"If there are any consequences, just think of the tale I will have to tell you when I get back..."

No comments:

Post a Comment