Wednesday 24 November 2021

The Peacock 351

 "You never told me anything", Melissa says to Carl.

"I wasn't sure what to say.  And I didn't want to worry you.  And then, after he did the deed, you and I were so caught up in our immediate survival that I must have pushed it to the back of my mind."

"Wait a minute", she says.  "I have also seen this guy.  I'm sure of it.  It must have been earlier that day.  I was out way in the back, looking for birds, and there was a raven I was trying to follow through the trees.  I was really fascinated by ravens, and sometimes heard them talking among themselves, like humans, with their own kind of language.  Seriously, it does happen."

"I believe you" Aaron says.  "I also heard a family group of ravens once having a conversation in a tree in Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island.  It was quite incredible."

"Where were you, exactly?" says Carl.

"I was at the edge of the property, near the entrance to that path that Dad ordered us to stay away from.I stopped just short of the entrance to the trail, when I saw this man approach me from the trail.  He looked like he was heading towards the house.  I at first tried to hide, but he already saw me.  And in those days, when the Asperger's was still pretty bad, I was simply too painfully shy to want to start a conversation, especially with some strange man appearing out of nowhere.  But he was a short, slim man, about dad's age or a bit older.  He simply just stared, or glared right at me, like his eyes were boring into me.  He held me in his gaze and said "Hello.".  I said nothing, but yes, he did have an accent.  I am going to see your father he said.  Is he at the house?  I said nothing, but then noticed a little deer trail so I ran away on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment