Sunday 21 November 2021

The Peacock 348

 All the others have left the room save for Carl, Melissa, Aaron and me. We sit around the coffee table,  Our four cups refilled with coffee and the watch and family photos and envelope all provide a curious decor, and I wonder what kind of still life painting this could make.  Melissa is holding and studying one of the photos now.  And Carl has just picked up the watch, which he examines as though looking for structural flaws. 

"You found these in the cabin?" he says. 

"On top of a table, with a kerosene lantern", says Aaron. 

"I've never been in there", he says.  "Neither of us have been there."

"So then these are..." I say.

"They are", says Melissa.

"How old were you", say I.

"I would have been six.  "Carl would have just turned twelve."

"It was our last time together," says Carl.  "As a family.  Dad left us in the summer.  And soon they divorced.  Mom gave dad the watch for Christmas the year before."

No comments:

Post a Comment