Monday 22 November 2021

The Peacock 349

 "What I need to know", says Melissa, "is how did they get there?  Nothing squares here.  None of this makes sense.  She has picked up again one of the family photos, then passes it to her brother.

"Your father must have known about the cabin", says Aaron.

"He never said anything about it", says Melissa.

"He used to disappear sometimes", Carl interjects.  "Maybe that was his personal hideout.  A man cave, maybe."

"When did you see him last?" I ask.

"I already told you", Carl replies a  bit sharply.  "When he shot himself."

"If, for sure, he shot himself", says Melissa.

"Who could have done it?" says Carl.  

"And how did his body get carried away?  Someone must have done it."

"His remains were never found?" I ask.

"Never", says Carl.

"Did your father have enemies?" asks Aaron.

"With his difficult temperament and tendency of turning on and betraying others", says Melissa", I wouldn't be at all surprised."

"Was there anyone", I ask.

"Wait a minute", says Carl.  "I seem to remember someone..."

No comments:

Post a Comment