Monday 1 November 2021

The Peacock 328

 "There isn't much to tell", says Carl. "It was actually just the day before my mom tracked me down at Stella's in Amsterdam.  I came over to put in some time watching the place while her regulars came and went and there was this guy, an American visiting at the kitchen table.  It turns out it was Dan Savage and, yes, he was doing research, and was wanting to interview both of us for one of his columns."

"And then what happened?" says Aaron, with a wicked grin.

"Are you still eating your cheese from the Isle of Man"" Carl asks.

"Tonight it is a very old, orange Scottish cheddar."

"Isn't that a lot of cheese you're eating?" says Sarah.

"You mean, for a man my age", says Aaron.  "The isle of Man extra old cheddar was last night.  Tonight it is some of the finest cheddar from Scotland.  And at least they got their cheese right.  Almost all the rest of the food from that country is not fit for human consumption."

"What is the national food of Scotland?" asks Jesús.

"Haggis", say I.  "One of the most revolving substances to ever enter the human mouth.  

"Hey", says Tommy, giggling, "I'm Chinese, we have a reputation for eating almost anything that grows, walks, crawls, swims, squirms or flies, and even that I wouldn't even touch with my worst chopsticks."

"So, what other cheese are you going to eat tonight?" says Carl.

"I'm about done", says Aaron.

"Two different cheeses in the same night?"says-asks Sarah.

"Last night I had the cheese from the Isle of Man."

"But you just said..."say I.

"Oh", says Aaron.  "I ought to tell you that time works very differently between our dimensions.  An entire day has past since we started talking about this ten minutes ago.  I am back again at my computer..."

"

"

No comments:

Post a Comment