Friday 26 November 2021

The Peacock 353

 "As I explained to you back in the diner, I have a rather curious relationship straddling both our worlds."

"Huh?" says Melissa.

"Aaron says he is writing a book about us."

"You don't say."

"It's a little more complicated than that, Melissa", says Aaron.  "I am actually writing all of you, right now, while seated in front of my laptop in my apartment."

"We're all a product of your imagination.  Uh-huh, yes, I see."

"Well, then don't believe me."

"Look, Aaron, after nine years of living here, off and on, you might say that right now there is a flock of bright green pigs flying towards the moon, and I would still believe you.  This place is cursed.  Or enchanted, or pick a word, but, no, this is not at all a surprise to me.  Nothing surprises me any more.  Nothing."  She pulls off her eyeglasses, as though she wants to see better, or perhaps, not liking what she is seeing, to somehow blur her vision.

I am sure now that I either dreamed of your father, and that encounter wiht him at my dad's, or somehow just thought it up without really thinking.  I do have dreams like that sometimes..."


No comments:

Post a Comment