Wednesday 2 February 2022

The Peacock 415

"We haven't been disturbing you, I hope", say I.

"No, no, not at all", says Francois as he slowly moves towards the empty chair.  He may need a little time to make himself comfortable.  I sense a very shy and very courteous man.  I already like him.  

"Feeling left out?" says Carl, smiling over his usual lack of tact.

"Frankly, yes, I was..  But if this visit is private", and he appears poised to leave.

"Stay where you are", says Carl.  "Everyone's family here.  As far as I'm concerned you re welcome everywhere in this house provided the bathroom door isn't already locked."

"Chocolate chips?" and I pass Francois the half empty bag.  He accepts, pulling out a small handful of chocolate chips that he slowly puts in his mouth.

"What are you guys up to?"

"Chris is reading from the journal of a friend of his who passed away a few years ago."

"I'm so sorry to hear that".  And the way Francois says it, it is clear that he is genuinely sorry for my loss of Kenny.  I really like this guy.

"Kenny died a long time ago, back in 1996", say I

"How did you end up with his journal", says Francois.



No comments:

Post a Comment