Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Peacock 429

 "What were you thinking of making?" Carol says.

"Melissa suggested pancakes", says Jennifer.

"Then pancakes it shall be", says Carol, getting up from the table.  She first checks on the coffeepot which is still being slowly filled by a trickle of dark brown liquid.   Then she goes to a group of cupboards.  "Where does she keep the mix?"

"I have my own recipe", says Jennifer.  "All made from scratch."

"You don't say?  I've never made pancakes before.  May I watch?"

"I can help", say I, and I reach underneath for a large porcelain bowl, an antique, light turquoise blue with a white interior.  It is beautiful, and  huge..  I set it on the counter.

"I use whole wheat flour, which we should have aplenty.  And yogurt, unless there is buttermilk around."

I open the fridge door.  "it's going to be yogurt."

"That should do."  

"What would you like me to do?" asks Carol, sounding almost a little bit peevish, like the little girl who is afraid of being left out.

"Serve coffee and tell us a story", says Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment