Tuesday 15 February 2022

The Peacock 428

 "So", says Carol, "What was Carl doing in your side of the house?"

"My side of the house"; I am scooping dark roast into the filter cone.  I am going to try for a full pot, anyway, not knowing who else might show up.

"Isn't his bedroom over in the other wing somewhere?"

"I'm actually sleeping in Carl's bedroom."

"Oh, come on!" Carol says, picking at her fingernails.  "You're only making that up."

"Not entirely.  That used to be his bedroom, when he was younger."

"What, I am afraid to ask, was he doing with you last night?"

"We were reading together."

"You don't say? And in your bedroom.  Well, his bedroom, I should imagine?"

"We've been doing it the past three nights."

"But is that really appropriate here. Him being the guest master, I mean"

Jennifer has just come in.  "Oh, good morning, you guys", she says with a bright smile.  "Are you going to help me make breakfast?"

No comments:

Post a Comment