Wednesday 9 February 2022

The Peacock 422

"Melissa just might stuff you in the trunk instead", say I

"After she's made my head the hood ornament."

"She might not come", say I

Francois says,"It might be that you going off to the diner also gives her a much coveted rest from her darling big brother."

"Touche", Carl says.  "Well, if you two gentlemen don't mind, I am going to trundle off to bed.  But I'm super tired so I think I'm going to sleep again in the same room down the hall.  I really don't know why my great granddad had to go and build such a big fucking house."

"Oh, listen to that, will you", says Francois, chuckling.

"Yeah, you should be so lucky." say I.

Carl stands up, and gives us each a warm hug, then wanders out into the corridor.

François, getting up, says, "well, I really don't want to keep you awake any longer, Christopher.  Mind if I retire?"

"Okay", say I feeling simultaneously relieved and abandoned.  I remain on the bed as my new friend finds his way to the door, stops to wave, then steps out, gently shutting the door behind him...


No comments:

Post a Comment