Friday 4 February 2022

The Peacock 417

 "What do you hope to find in your friend's journal?" says Francois.

"Ultimately, I would like to know how he really died."  I am very surprised I would say this.  I hadn't even thought it before.  

"You don't believe that that is how your friend really died?"

"I don't know.  But I did have some dreams about him, he seemed to want me to read his journal, and in the dream he even told me where it would be."

After a pause, Francois says, "That is very peculiar.  And the journal was exactly where he told you in the dream it would be."

"Exactly."

"And you had never once seen him put it there?"

"It was in Kenny's bedroom. I never went in there.  I mean, he never invited me there, and there seemed no reason for me to go in there, but we did often visit in my bedroom.  I mean as friends."  I feel myself wincing that I would even have to make that kind of distinction.

"Francois looks at me intently, then his gaze softens and a small gentle smile appears briefly on his face.

"You were very close", he says softly."

"Yes."

"And how are you doing this evening, Francois", says Carl...

No comments:

Post a Comment