Friday 8 July 2022

The Peacock 570

 "You mean to say that Jesus approves of bribery?" says Michael.

Says Aaron, "He doesn't really care about where the dough comes from, he just wants us to be generous with it.  The boss of the dishonest steward was really selfish and stingy, and so of course he was going to let him go.  He wanted to keep all his money.  But that isn't the way of Christ, who wants us to be generous, and yes, to even buy as many friends as we can with the largess."

"So, Carl", says Sarah, "it doesn't really matter if you're being fiscally prudent or not.  You are being generous.  In fact, brother, I know we have our differences sometimes, but let me tell you one thing.  I have never in my life known someone so generous as you are."

"You know", says Jennifer, "Sarah is absolutely spot on.  And how do you do it, you and Melissa, I mean."

"Our father, when he died", says Carl, "Left Melissa and I each a very generous legacy.  He came from tremendous wealth and privilege himself.  Our mom is kind of horrified with the way we spend on you guys, especially me, my sister tends to be somewhat restrained, but to me, it is such an honour and privilege to be able to help.  I mean, what else would I do with the money myself?  I already have way more than enough, and enough investments to keep me afloat for three hundred years, so what am I going to do with all the excess, let it rot in a bank vault?  no, and you guys all mean far too much to me.  I..I really hope we will always be part of each other's lives.  I mean, I see us all as being on a journey together.  And that doesn't mean that you all have to stay here with me, everyone is free to leave if and when they want, but please, not all of you at once, because I would miss you terribly, but, you guys,... I think we'll always be part of each other's lives, wherever we go...And...I think I'm going to cry..."

No comments:

Post a Comment