Friday 1 July 2022

The Peacock 563

 "Tristan came here with Doug, three years ago", says Matthew.  "In fact, it was I who received them when Father Griffin drove them up here in his car.  Strange as it seems, we bonded right away, I mean me with both Tristan and Doug.  They both looked so sad and broken, my heart completely went out to both of them.  I took them into our wing of the house, and gave them lunch.  They seemed so grateful for any evidence of care that was shown to them.  I at first felt saddened when the rest of the community didn't appear to welcome them, but I was also aware that they were both holding themselves aloof, as though suddenly they decided they were better than everybody, and that I should feel myself honoured that they should deign welcome me into their private little circle of two.  Father Griffin had already informed us that they, especially Doug, had real gifts in leadership as well as things of the Spirit, and that we should allow them, for a while anyway, to take the helm in this place.  Well, whether we wanted them or not, they only too gladly stepped into the role, and we all know what happened after that.

"I only wish I could know just why I stayed so devoted to those two, even if they did treat me rather monstrously..."

No comments:

Post a Comment