Tuesday 26 July 2022

The Peacock 588

 "Maybe you could send her a text.  I seem to be the one who does all the communicating with her."

"Does she want to hear from me?"

"You are her son.  Of course she wants to hear from you.  I haven't told you how much she complains of never getting word from you.  Maybe today you could write her something", says Melissa.

"Like, tell her not to come."

"Tell her how much you miss her."

"You want me to lie."

"Just write her.  Say hi to her."

"As of next week, she'll be seeing me twenty-four and seven.  I'm sure that should be enough."

I am wondering if it is always going to be this way, being a captive audience to this domestic melodrama.  I appreciate Carl's desire for transparency, but this is a bit much, and quite another valid reason for my desire to return to ordinary life.  It is occurring to me what a glass cage this family is, and how unaware both siblings appear to be of any world existing outside.  And there is also this other extraordinary presence, or extraordinary presences haunting this place.  I think I am going to meet privately with Sarah, Jenn and Maureen, about how we can pull these two into some semblance of reality.  Right now, I'm not even certain that I want to stay here long enough to meet Astrid, their mother...


No comments:

Post a Comment