Sunday 10 July 2022

The Peacock 572

 "Spoilsport!" quips Carl.

George says, "As long as that goose keeps laying them golden eggs, we ain't having her for Christmas dinner."

"Nor Easter, nor Thanksgiving", concurs Jeffery.

"You guys really are gifted at blackmail", says Sarah.

"It was an out of court settlement.  Actually it was their idea", says Jeffery.

"So", says George", the upshot is, we're really okay financially for now, so we don't need your money.  I mean, we have been really grateful for it, but Carl, we're already your friends. besides, you know, it's really Adam and Lazarus we're worried about, because they have nothing."

"Is this true", says Carl, looking at Adam and Lazarus.  They both nod, pensive.  "And how about the ladies?"

"We're all basically okay", says Sarah.  "Priscilla left me quite a generous amount, a lot of it's invested, but really, I'm okay, plus, the library has asked me to return to work for them, online during the pandemic, so that's what I plan on doing for a while anyway.  Maureen is also okay.  Her husband died a few years ago, but was quite a bit older, wealthy, and left her some generous benefits.  How about you Jennifer?"

"I still have some savings from the agreement from my ex husband , but they are limited, and without Carl's generosity I could perhaps survive okay for another couple of years."

"Should I be hearing all this?" says Tommy, getting up from his chair.

"Well, you've heard it, but dude, it's only money, so chill, eh?" says Carl  "We're all friends here..."

No comments:

Post a Comment