Monday 11 July 2022

The Peacock 573

"I move that we talk more about these matters when we get back to the house", says Sarah.  "Melissa really should be part of this conversation, as well as Sheila and Glen. "

"And some are going to eventually want to return to work and civilian ordinary life", says Francois.  "We have to start drawing up exit plans for those that want to leave."

"That might be easier said than done", says Aaron.  "and I speak from some personal experience.  When my own Christian community disbanded some almost thirty years ago, I was living alone and independently for the first time in six years.  It was not only difficult readjusting to civilian life, as Francois calls it, it was downright impossible.  Within a couple of years I ended up homeless.  And it isn't just because I was unprepared, but because everything had changed so much, the work culture, the cost of living, everything.  I no longer had the cushion of community to fall back on, and eventually my life imploded."

"I think that Aaron is right", says Carl, "and I don't even have a clue what it's like out there for most people.  But I really think that everyone should look at the likelihood that we are all going to be together for the long haul.  Maybe forever."

"I think it's time for all of you to know something", says Sarah.  Turning to Jennifer, she asks, "Is it okay with you if I disclose?"

"Sure, go ahead", says Jennifer.

"As you know, Jennifer and I have already lived several years with Maureen in her house in the Shaughnessy district of Vancouver.  It is quite big, six bedrooms, and we could easily fit more people, up to three more besides us.  The thing is, you guys, that the three of us women have been talking secretly about this, especially with Doug finally gone.  Maureen had let the house to a tenant the last three years, but they are moving on in the fall, and the three of us have already decided to take occupancy again.  We expect to do okay, but we would also like any three others here to prayerfully consider joining us.."

No comments:

Post a Comment