Saturday 30 July 2022

The Peacock 592

 Adam says, "I first saw them in the garden one morning in summer, when I was out for a walk just before breakfast.  I think  we had only been here a couple of weeks, Sable.  So, I was walking over toward the magnolia tree, and first I saw a peacock, then one of the two men in white.  This one was particularly tall, and his hair was long, down past his shoulders.  He looked at me, and held me in a long and intense gaze.  I had never seen anyone so beautiful before.  I fell to my knees, then he approached me, lifted me up by the armpits and directed me to the bench, where we sat together.  We didn't say anything.  I just sat there, just an inch or two away from him, silent and stupid, and neither did he seem inclined to say anything.  Then you, Sable, came out looking for me, to call me in for breakfast."

"I remember", says Lazarus.  "but you were alone on that bench.  I didn't see anyone with you."

"Did I never tell you about him?"

"No.  Not ever."

"Well, I wouldn't want you to be jealous."

"No problem", says Lazarus.

"I turned to the man in white, who was still at my side, and asked him if I had permission to leave.  He smiled at me and said, "Go with your friend.  We will see each other again soon."  You're absolutely sure, Sable, that you saw no one there with me."

"As sure as I am that I am talking to you now."

"How very, terribly odd..."

No comments:

Post a Comment