Saturday 16 July 2022

The Peacock 578

 We appear to have returned to an empty house, the downstairs anyway, and given the rain today, I can only assume that everyone is upstairs, perhaps in their own rooms.  We all naturally disperse, each to their own room or section of house, as though we are needing time away from each other before we regroup.   The rain, and all the food I have just eaten have left me feeling lazy and drowsy, and just as I am headed towards my room, I am twinged by an intuition, that I should really be downstairs, instead.  One of the sofas in the small reception room should do just fine.  I throw myself onto the cushions and stair out the French window at the falling rain.  I am yawning, and a strange micro dream of two men in white seated opposite in different chairs grabs my attention, and then...

When I awake, Carol is occupying one of the chairs, reading a magazine, and Melissa is seated in the other, looking at her laptop.

"Hello", say I.

"We're not disturbing you, I hope", says Carol.

"No, not at all", I reply, without moving.  "How long have I been asleep."

"I came in here about half an hour ago", says Carol.  "How about you, Melissa?"

"I was in here just ten minutes before you.  Chris was probably just falling asleep when I arrived."

"How was your lunch?" Carol asks.

"Great.  We had a great time.  And you'll never guess who we met along the way?"

"Tristan?" says Melissa.

"How did you guess?"

"Doesn't take a genius"




No comments:

Post a Comment