Monday 17 April 2023

The Peacock 851

 I pause, incredulous.  I read it again, silently.  "Her name was Greta."

"My ex-wife."

"Are you sure", says Francois.

"Yes, he's sure", says Carl.  "Chris, you don't have to keep on reading if this is gong to be upsetting for you."

"The show must go on", I reply.

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure."

I continue:

"She sat down in my office and stared at me with the most impaling blue eyes I have ever seen.  Then she said

'Do you know who you really are?'

"I am your philosophy prof, Sven Lindstrom."

"You are also one of our watchers", she said.  There was silence for almost a minute.  But only because, just then, I also knew.

"Yes, you were sent to me", I said.

"You will go through a period of doubt and denial for three weeks, then two of my companions will approach you, and they will show you, and after that you will return to work with us.'  She said nothing else, but just got up and left.  I did not see her again in class, but then saw her on the grounds two months later, after the visitation from her two companions...



No comments:

Post a Comment