Wednesday 19 April 2023

The Peacock 853

 "We walked through the park to an apartment building.  It was actually an apartment hotel and we went to the fifth floor where they had a small apartment.  There was a suitcase.  The gentleman, and they looked incredibly British, said that I will find various changes of clothing in there, my taste and size.  Then he presented me with a passport.  I opened it.  If it was falsified, it was a very good forgery, but here was my photo, and my passport number, which I had already memorized, and my signature.

"We will accompany you to the airport", said the woman, "And there will be someone to meet you in Vancouver.  He will be waiting for you in the departures lounge and you will fly to Victoria together.

"I have to be at home in five minutes to grade papers and prepare classes", I protested.

"You will be back in a month.  In the meantime, a substitute professor has been arranged for you.  Now the cab is almost here.  Let's go.."

"Where is Victoria?"

"It is the provincial capital of British Columbia, Canada.  From there, your contact person will accompany you to the Refuge.

"The refuge?"

"We have to go...Now..."

No comments:

Post a Comment