Friday 28 April 2023

The Peacock 862


"when I returned to sweden I only remembered my time in the place of the Transfiguration, and simply thought of it as a retreat centre, and even without knowing it, invented a whole set of memories about the time I didn't spend there.  The Refuge did not occur even once in my mind, although I often dreamed of the place and especially about the kid.  I returned to my duties at the university, where a couple of weeks later Greta came to see me.  She sat down without my invitation and impaled me with her zircon blue eyes and said, I heard everything about your time in Canada.  Mother and father, her names for the old couple, told me that I must do everything I can to help you remember.

Help me to remember what?

Your time in the Refue.

Oh you mean that Christian community near Victoria.  Wonderful place with lovely, friendly and helpful people.

You were there just twice, for two days each time.  You have to remember your time at the Refuge.

I of course knew nothing bout what she was talking about, but on her insistence I agreed that we meet for lunch every week,.  meanwhile my fiancĂ©e, Yohanna and I, were planning our wedding and she was already expecting our child...

No comments:

Post a Comment