Tuesday 12 September 2023

998

 She has written here:

"May seems to have always been a significant month in my life.  As well as today being Victory in Europe Day, it is also near the anniversary of when my grandmother came here to Canada as a war bride with my Canadian grandfather, a lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Airforce, just one year later in '46.  They had not yet tied the knot, but she was already carrying my mother inside her, still early in the first trimestre, and once they landed in Halifax, they sped off to the justice of the peace.  Five years later, after Grandma's bitter complaining about the eastern winters, they moved out here to Vancouver.  Back in those days, my grandfather's salary as a post office worker was still enough for them to save up for a down payment for the lovely home they bought out at UBC.  It was through the good fortune of his frequent promotions and salary raises that they were able to keep their lovely home and happily raise there their one and only child, my mother.

"And now, almost seventy years later, the dreadful news.  My mother has dementia..."

No comments:

Post a Comment