Wednesday 13 September 2023

The Peacock 999

 This next post seems quite telling:

"Mom is in good hands with Dorothy, her spouse.   That woman is a force of nature.  We are even beginning to like each other, finally.  A little bit anyway.  They were married just ten years ago, when I was twenty five, after being together since we all left the UK together  just shy of my fifteenth birthday.  I can't say that I approved or disapproved of my mother being a lesbian.  It was a bit of a shock, I must admit, given our very socially proper life in London.  She was after all the wife of a Tory member of parliament and we lived in a sumptuous house in Mayfair.  But my father was a serial philanderer, and then of a sudden decided to dump mother and daughter both for a young woman singer in a pop band.  Here is the thread of continuity.

Mom was swept off her feet by my father here in Vancouver in 1975.  He was fifteen years older, and already was involved in politics, and was returning to the UK and my headstrong mama was already twenty-nine and thought she must never be far from her one true love.  In London they lived together, then got married, and not long after I arrived as their little bundle of joy.  I was educated in the best schools in London, and then the shit came flying, Daddy ran off with his little pop singer, and mother fell in love with Dorothy, a Canadian woman working in London for Oxfam.  One year later we were the three of us flying out to vancouver together...

No comments:

Post a Comment