Friday 2 February 2024

The Peacock 1137

 But I'm not feeling quite ready to give it up.  I am suddenly feeling ornery, like a capricious dog with a stick in his mouth, just daring anyone to try to take it.  "are you scared of needles?" say I to Chuck.

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Then what have you got against vaccinations?  How do you think they eradicated smallpox and polio, to name just two deadly diseases almost wiped off the map thanks to vaccinations."

"That was a different time, before the government got its hands into our very bloodstreams."

"And now you are being ridiculous", says Francois, clearly wanting to match my orneriness.

"I beg your pardon."

"And irrational.  What is your real problem?"

Chuck pauses, as though trying to collect his thoughts, but then seems to be discovering something as for the very first time.  "You know what it is" he says.  Then pauses, draws a deep breath as though preparing to jump off the high diving board.  "You know what it is.  It's that I do not want government, nor church, nor anybody telling me what to or what not to do, nor what to put into my body or not put into my body.  not now.  Not ever...


No comments:

Post a Comment