Thursday 1 February 2024

The Peacock 1136

"How is your mom's partner?" I ask, hoping to completely change the subject.

"He has tested positive but is asymptomatic.  They haven't figured out who got it first or who infected whom.  She's saying they're both to blame, since like a lot of Montrealers they were being cavalier about not wearing masks in public."

"Masks should be an individual choice", says Chuck.

"And so should making everyone sick", quips François, "We all have the right to infect others, including the elderly, the frail, the immunocompromised..."

"All it is is a kind of flu."

Say I  "I think you should pay attention to what Francois is trying to say.  Our healthcare system has never been so overwhelmed and now it is at breaking point.  This has never happened because of the flu"

"The healthcare system here is overextended because it is underfunded.  The exact same thing is happening in Australia."

"Do you think we might talk about something else?" says Francois.

"Maybe the weather?" say I.

"Well, I don't think we are about to change each other's minds", says Chuck, "And I for one do want us to have an enjoyable visit..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment