Friday 16 February 2024

The Peacock 1151

 "I worked with unhoused people in Montreal."

"You are a natural.  Would you consider working with us?  I mean, we are hiring soon, the pay isn't that great, unfortunately."

"I will certainly give it some thought."

"How about you, Christopher?

"Well, I am out of work now.  I was doing palliative nursing for quite a while, but the pandemic has put me out of work.  But, why me?  You noticed I'm sure how awful I was with your friends on the street."

"Please let me differ, if I may.  You approached them with care, respect, and interest.  And acceptance.  I could tell you were liked."

"I felt completely useless."

"As did I at first.  That is humility.  Please, both of you, do give some serious thought to this.  But I have to get out of here soon do do some outreach.  When are you coming back?"

"When would you like to see us?" says Francois.

"Tomorrow?"

"What do you think?" I say to Francois.

"Does this mean we're already hired?" he asks Chuck.

"How about a paid practicum?"

"Deal", says Francois. And I also nod in shy reluctant agreement...

"

No comments:

Post a Comment