Saturday 3 February 2024

The Peacock 1138

 "Are you a libertarian?"

"I believe profoundly in the right to personal agency of every single human being on the planet."

"I don't suppose", say I, "Then that it would matter much to you that Carl's mother is in hospital, in intensive care with covid, or that Francois' mother now has it?"

"How old are they?"

"That shouldn't make not one iota of difference", sputters Francois.  "They are human beings, and as well as having personal agency as you call it, they have also been victimized by other idiots' use of their damn personal agency."

"I am really sorry to her that", says Chuck patiently.

We are quietly sipping our beverages, not daring to speak or look at each other.  Then Francois says, "Christopher mentioned that you are involved in street ministry here.  and yes, you also mentioned it", he says self-consciously.

"That is correct", says Chuck, in this determinedly cheerful manner that I never saw in him twenty-five years ago.

"How long have you been doing this" say I.

"Just over two years.  I came here from Melbourne to fill the position."

"And your wife and kid", says Francois.

"That is a long story..."

No comments:

Post a Comment