Wednesday 21 February 2024

The Peacock 1157

 As we are approaching Denman Street, Francois is the first to break the silence.  "Chris, were you and Chuck able to find enough time to talk together while I was on the phone with my mom in the café?"

"We had a little time, but didn't get into any personal stuff."

"I'm sorry.  I wonder if you should have gone alone to see him?  I just offered to come because I thought you might want some support."

"I am actually extremely grateful to you for coming.  And no I didn't want us to get too personal.  At least not this early in the game.  And besides, you're coming has helped secure us both employment."  Of course what I am not going to say, even though it is what I am thinking, is that the only reason Carl wanted me to go alone was that he would not be there himself and he would be damned if he was going to let Francois stand in for him with me."

"What did you and Chuck talk about?" asks Carl, now pulled out of his apparent funk over having to walk and not being allowed to look around in the book store.

"You don't have to, Christopher", says Francois.

"I think I should. There was something that he was saying that doesn't quite square with me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment