Wednesday 14 February 2024

The Peacock 1149

 Chuck's office is in the basement of Saint James's Church, where Chuck has just disclosed that he is a regular attender, even though he is Roman Catholic and not Anglican.

"I have no intention of converting", he says, as he makes us a fresh pot of coffee.  "We're the only ones present today."

"I used to attend here", say I.  "Quite regularly."

"Yes, the special effects of Anglo -Catholic liturgy are something phenomenal", he says.

"I wouldn't mind checking this place out sometime", says Francois as he relaxes into a beat up armchair, and I into the other one.  Chuck is perched on the corner of the desk.

"This place has become something of a refuge for me", says Chuck.  "And I have free access to the church, so any time I want to run upstairs for a little quiet devotional time...I feel very spoiled here."  He attends to the coffee, leaping off the desk like a manic squirrel, and says, "How long ago were you coming here?"

"I was a regular attender for a while, then off and on," and suddenly I remember seeing Chuck here, just last year, several times, yet never made the connection...

No comments:

Post a Comment