Thursday 15 February 2024

The Peacock 1150

 "I've seen you here during mass", say I.

"As I have you on occasion."

"But you didn't say anything."

"Weren't you avoiding me?"

"Truth is, I didn't know it was you."

Chuck pauses between pouring out coffee in our mugs, then says, somewhat sadly, "Yes, I imagine the years have changed me somewhat."

"As they have for me", say I.

"Christopher, you have hardly aged in twenty-five years.  What is your secret?"

"Well, thanks, but I beg to differ.  I am starting to go grey, my hair is thinning in places, and getting lines on my face and bags under my eyes."

"Still hardly discernible."  And now he is smiling at me in a way that I find simultaneously creepy and appealing.  To Francois he says, "I noticed how well you interact with people on the street..."


No comments:

Post a Comment