Saturday 8 October 2022

The Peacock 662

 "I remember that so clearly", say I.  It was mid August, and I was just trying to plan my day off.  Strangely, I was unable to sleep in, and had woken very early feeling that something was very amiss."

"What did he tell you?" says Carl.

"Very little.  Just that he woke up in the middle of the forest and couldn't remember anything else  And that he had a terrible headache.  I poured him some coffee, and we just sat there at the table, not saying a lot, just making inconsequential chitchat.  

"Did he say anything about the man who was following him?" says Francois.

"Absolutely nothing."  At that moment, Carl reaches in the bottom drawer of the desk and pulls out the club pack of semi sweet chocolate chips.  From a top drawer he pulls out a scissors, which he uses to cut open the bag.  After scooping out a handful, he passes the bag to Francois, who later passes it to me.

"I should also mention this wasn't too long before he died, just a few months..."

No comments:

Post a Comment