Tuesday 11 October 2022

The Peacock 665

 "For a while, he just stood there, like a property owner who has just purchased a new house, and now wants to stand inside and simply take it all in.

"Hello", I said to him from behind the counter.   He didn't answer.

Again, I said, "Hello."  He didn't even seem to know I was there.

"Hello, may I help you with something?"

He approached me slowly, then came right to the counter, just inches in front of me, staring at me with the most incredibly blue eyes I have ever seen, like the eyes of a Siamese cat.

""Do you know who I am?" he said, his voice soft, low and gentle, with an undertone rather between a growl and a purr.

Then suddenly, I was struck by the whole absurdity of the situation, then I burst out laughing.  "how the fuck should I know!" I almost shouted, between peals of laughter.  "Or care?  Now are you here to buy something or do you just want to make my day interesting again?"

"I will see you this evening at eight.  Sword Fern Trail", he said quietly.

"Not tonight, darling, I have a headache", and at that moment, I knew that Harriet had taken over in me and would manage the situation just ducky.

He looked at me, suddenly a bit dumbfounded.  "We are having a sale on spider plants, by the way", I said.  He turned around, and walked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment