Wednesday 19 October 2022

The Peacock 673

 "Not in front of the child?" says Carl, smiling.

"Something like that.  Thing is, they both seemed to have their own adult friendship between them, Dad and Kenny, and I was the kid.  I always felt a little bit shut out from both of them."

"I would imagine", says Francois, "that they were protecting you.  They wanted to be sure that you weren't hit by any secondary trauma, because your friend Kenny was going through one bizarre and freaky kind of hell."  He reaches his hand into the bag and pulls out a small fistful of chocolate chips that he pops into his mouth, then continues, "I'm a bit envious, actually.  Mom never withheld any secrets from me.  To her we were not mother and son, but I was her  built in confidant, or agony aunt.  We were completely enmeshed, and that was not really a good thing for me to grow up with.

"I guess it's only normal that I would feel a bit cheated.  But,yes, Francois, I think you're right."

"Did you and your father ever talk about Kenny?"

"Not till after he died.  Kenny's suicide really brought Dad and I close together, closer than we had ever  been..

No comments:

Post a Comment