Sunday 7 May 2023

The Peacock 871

 Carl appears in the breakfast room just as I am tucking into my porridge.  It's a grab and go kind of breakfast and only Francois and Melissa are with me at the table  The others all appear to be sleeping in.

"So, Carl", says Melissa as her brother pulls up a chair and sets his bowl of oatmeal in front of him.  "What's this about you guys being away for a couple of weeks."

"The likelihood that Mom and her friends will have to be in quarantine for two weeks.  Covid, you know."

"But couldn't you all just return here and wait till they're done in two weeks."

"I think it's better to be nearby where she's staying, just to see what support I can give her.  You know, delivering food that she likes, or books to read or magazines."

"Fair enough, big brother. Enjoy your holiday"

And Melissa appears to be...sulking?

"I will be in touch every day."

"Fine", she says tersely.

"Mel, you will not be alone here.  And Maureen, Jenn and Sarah are especially good and responsible.  You'll be okay."

"How do you know it isn't you I 'm worried about"

"Big bad Christopher is not going to lead your brother astray."

"Maybe I should be more concerned about Christopher in that case, but that's not what I'm worried about.  When were you last away from here.

"I will also be taking care of your brother, Melissa", says Francois smiling and reaching across to reassuringly touch her forearm.  God will go with us just as he will stay here with you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment