Monday 8 May 2023

The Peacock 872

 I suddenly want to drive my own car, and am on the verge of suggesting that we go separately.  I have to struggle, rather like wrestling with a rabid raccoon.  I know that I have to come back.  I am concerned that I will not want to return.  These six days of complete, condensed madness and dungeons and dragons live is something I really don't want to come back to.  We finish our breakfast and swallow  back our coffee in relative silence, simply exchanging innocuous comments about the weather, and the order and pace of our trip. 

"I'll take care of the dishes", says Melissa when she sees us about to carry our dirty bowls to the kitchen.  "you guys need to get going."

"You don't intend to leave here without saying good bye to me now, do you?"  The voice belongs to Carol who appears still in her pyjamas and sky blue dressing gown.  

 "Oh do pardon my attire", she says, almost faking a curtsy.  I'm still in my jammies.  But this is going to be a lazy day."  And she approaches me, open arms and engulfs me in a big, maternal hug.  "Do take care, Christopher"  And then she embraces both Carl and Francois.

"How long are you going to be away?"

"It could be almost three weeks", say I.  and I can tell she is trying to maintain her composure.  She stiffens.

"Alright", she says, "But when you are able...Do hurry back."

I want to reach out and give Melissa a hug, but something about her contained and enclosed armour of self-protection forbids any demonstrable affection.  Still, I hold out my hand and she takes it and not so reluctantly as I fear.  We say nothing, she looks away and down.  And now we are leaving...

No comments:

Post a Comment