Sunday 28 May 2023

The Peacock 892

 My phone is ringing and the voice responds to my hello, "Hello, this is Rev. Jenkins,  Deacon, calling.  Am I speaking to Christopher?"  His accent is decidedly English. Oxbridge and rather plummy.

"Yes, hello Reverend Jenkins."

"And how are you, today."

"Fine thanks.  And yourself?"  His voice is plummy but also warm and dare I say even inviting.

"Very well.  Splendid weather we are having today.  It feels almost like a summer day."

"Yes, it does."  And now I am waiting for the distinguished deacon to either tell me the purpose of his call or to cut to the chase by asking him how I might help him.

"My reason for calling, Christopher, is simply to inform you that your family home is now ready for occupancy.  I had a look throughout yesterday and you will be glad to know that the Ugandan family who were tenants there left it in pristine and sparkling condition."

"I am relieved to hear that.  Thank you.  I am actually on my way over there right now."

"Oh dear, I hope I did not catch you while motoring."

"No, I'm sitting in my apartment downtown with a couple of friends.  We should be heading there in a few minutes."

"Oh, there is one other matter you should be apprised of.  The African tenants left their cat on the premises.  She is there right now.  There is nothing to worry about, everything is quite clean and intact, but we were wondering what you would like to do about it."

"I guess I'll know when I see the cat."

"And one other thing.  The Rev Karen Wilson who was to be mentoring the Ugandan ordinand, she lent him her book, which he has left unread on the kitchen table.  I asked her about it, and she said you are welcome to it if you wish.  You would find it most interesting..."

No comments:

Post a Comment