Wednesday 10 May 2023

The Peacock 874

 The beat of Latin ska music induces a certain happy delirium and I find myself unfolding like a daisy or marigold turning its face to the summer sun.

Says Francois, "This music makes me want to spend the day sipping cocktails on a beach in the Caribbean."

"And you're a priest?" says Carl, chuckling.

"Was a priest.  Remember, two nights ago I broke the seal of the confessional when I told you guys about that Hutu jerk who came to me for absolution."

"Seriously?"

"Absolutely."

"What is your next move?" I ask.

"I am going to live with both you and Carl in your father's house.  I mean, isn't that obvious."

And yes, it is obvious, and despite the panic that is trying to grip me I feel also a rising and near overwhelming gladness.

"Did you hear that, Carl?" say I.

"Hear it I did.  When is moving day."

"Right now?"

"Okay, but first we have to sort things out with Mommy and her little friends, and your friend from Sweden.  But it's a done deal and I think we should all be ready within the next six weeks or so.  And how about your ex brother-in-law?"

"We have three bedrooms, an office and a den, and they could both be converted into bedrooms quite easily."

"Christopher", says Francios, who still appears on a Christopher basis with me.  "May I ask one thing of you please."

"Sure."

"I was thinking of staying behind at your father's house when the rest of you return to the mansion.  I need time to reshape my life, plus I could help get the house ready for you guys."

"Are you sure, Francois", says Carl.  "It might be a lot of isolation for you.  When were you last on your own."

"Yes, Brother Carl, you are absolutely right.  It was just an idea."

"One day at a time", say I.

"Agreed", says Carl.

"Agreed", says Francios. "One day at a time."


No comments:

Post a Comment