Wednesday 17 May 2023

The Peacock 881

 No hugs have been exchanged, just handshakes.  It is always hard to tell with Robert Griffin. At times he errs on the side of a smarmy clinging limpet when it comes to hugs, but this time, despite his apparently genuine contrition and repentance, appears a little more distant than usual.  As though intentionally maintaining a safe distance in order to calculate.  And he is very calculating, I would say an ace manipulator if ever I have known any.  But such is the treasure chest of a veteran Anglican cleric, and they could easily smooth talk their way all the way through Vegas, Reno and Monte Carlo.  

Once we are all three in the van and back on the open road, Francois is the first to speak.  "I wonder if that guy has ever been genuinely sorry for anything he has ever done in his life?"

"That is hard to say with Robert", says Carl.

"Boy, do I ever concur", say I.

"Well, he's back in the plan again", says Carl, "Which is. I would imagine, why he would stage such contrition."

"You know", say I, "I was raised by an Anglican priest, and he told me himself to never ever trust any expression of regret or repentance when it is coming from a cleric.  And that also went for my father.  They are, some of them, such ace actors, I would say method actors, that some of them could very easily ace an Oscar, a Palm D'Or and a Golden Globe without so much as batting an eyelash."

"We Roman priests are no better", says Francois.  "But still, in  these days of diversity and anti racism and black lives matter, he of course wants to cover his ass, even if his left butt cheek is still exposed..."

"I thought you are an ex priest", says Carl.

"It is going to take a while for this all to sink in for me.  By the way, you guys, I hope you don't mind, but starting tomorrow, I plan to begin a job search.  and if I land anything soon enough, I probably will need to stay on at the house while you guys are all back at the mansion..."

"But don't you already have money?" says Carl.

"That isn't the point.  That really is not the point..."

No comments:

Post a Comment