Saturday 4 March 2023

The Peacock 807

 That was when two very old looking people approached.  What I found remarkable was two things: their height. and despite their age, how well they carried themselves.  They were wearing tweeds like an English country gentleman and his wife, and yes, they were also wearing sensible shoes.  The man wore an English cloth  cap, had a white moustache and very blue and very penetrating eyes.  The woman had the wildest white hair I have ever seen in my life.  It simply flew in all directions, as though under a perpetual windstorm.  They both directed on me very warm and welcoming smiles.  They stood before us, towering.  "Welcome", said the woman.  "yes, welcome indeed, young man."  and yes, they both sounded so very and so properly English.  "And your name would be?" said the gentleman.  I couldn't answer.  I honestly didn't know my name, nor had I the presence of mind to ask them theirs.  "I see you have drunk from the fountain", said the lady.  "Yes, he drank from the fountain", said the boy.  "Then", said the gentleman, "Until you have remembered your name, and learned your true name, young man, your name shall be Adam..."


No comments:

Post a Comment