Monday 13 March 2023

The Peacock 816

 " Adam", says Sarah, suddenly.  "Or, sorry, I mean, Jason.  Jason, this will be the second version you have given us of your time in that place.  With all due respect, which please is the correct version?", and now she stares at him as though trying to recognize the face she is looking at.

"The one I'm telling you right now."

"And how can we be sure.  We hear so many different things from you."

"Sarah", he says with tested patience, "I have never once intentionally lied to any of you here.  But I am always confused, because my memory has always been uneven, and then I forget.  But the difference is that this time, now, I am not forgetting, or omitting anything.  For the first time I feel really myself.  Not that I am drifting between delusions and hallucinations. This is me, authentically telling all of you, in my authentic voice and with my authentic memory.  This is the first time in twenty years, and shit, man, does it feel good."

No comments:

Post a Comment