Tuesday 28 March 2023

The Peacock 831

 I am woken by a knock on the door  It is 4:35.  I have been sleeping for two hours, at least.  Again three knocks, and Carl's voice.  "Chris, are you there?"

"Yeah, come in."

He sits in the comfy chair.  

"Am I needed for dinner?"

"There's no hurry".  He pauses and looks at me quizzically.  "You been sleeping all this time?"

"Pretty much.  I was trying to read, but I just couldn't focus on anything.  I think all the food has made me tired."

I hoist myself up against the pillow.  I was feeling groggy, but now curiously and fully alert.  There is a gleam in Carl's eyes, and he is poised in the chair rather like a wild animal that is getting ready to leap.

"I find it an odd coincidence that suddenly, just as you and I are preparing to go to Vancouver tomorrow, that your house is now vacant and available."

"It's a message from God."  Then I stare at him focussed and challenging.  "When are we moving?"

"First we have to take care of my mother and her two friends.  And, of course", he says swallowing, "You're ex brother in law."

"Yes.  Eric.  He could be a problem."

"The three of us will all live in your family home.  It's at the university.  Perfect for him."

"Are you sure.  You haven't met him."

"I am absolutely sure.  Chris.  I have to get out of here..."


No comments:

Post a Comment