Saturday 11 March 2023

The Peacock 814

So, that was my routine, for, I don't know, two or three weeks?  He never left my side.  He never seemed to take any time for himself.  It was really creepy, in a way, but it didn't feel at all creepy.  This boy's presence was so benign, so peace and comfort inducing that I didn't think to protest, nor did I want time alone.  In fact, I didn't want him to leave.  I felt completely and absolutely safe with him.  But I also felt incredibly vulnerable and naked around him.  As though there was not one single thing, not one secret of mine that could stay hidden from him.  Yet I still felt accepted and loved.  Unconditionally loved by this kid.  Following a beautifully appointed dinner and time in one of the many rooms of the extensive library,  where we would sit and read together, we would go up to bed.  Then in the morning, after breakfast, we would take a long walk in the gardens, then have a rest, followed by lunch.  Then in the afternoon we would sit together in the physick garden into the late afternoon.  Then dinner, then I would climb into bed, he would tuck me in, then turn out the light and sit in the corner chair to watch over me.  We seldom exchanged words, but we always seemed to be communicating by thought, or telepathy.  There was very little physical contact.  Only when he would tuck me into bed, then lightly kiss me on the forehead.  I always fell asleep almost immediately after, just after he took his place in the armchair...

No comments:

Post a Comment