Friday 24 March 2023

The Peacock 827

 I can't settle to do anything until I have spoken to Carl.  Melissa and Carol are both in the reception room, reading quietly.

"Where's Carl?" I ask.

"He's in his room, working", says Melissa, and I am gone in a flash.

I knock at his bedroom door.

"Who is it?"

"Chris."  Yes, it looks like from now on I am going to be Chris and simply Chris.

"Come in."

He is in one of the comfy chairs with his laptop.  "Sit down", he says, motioning to the empty chair.  "You look like you have something urgent to say."

"My house is now available", I blurt.

He looks briefly at his scree, then glances up at me.  "Tell me."

"I just got an email from the deacon who was renting it out to a family from Uganda.  They have suddenly gone back to Africa, and now the house is ours if we want it."

"Ours?" says Carl, as though tasting the flesh of a strange animal.

"We can stay there while we're in Vancouver."

"And beyond...?"


No comments:

Post a Comment