Wednesday 22 March 2023

The Peacock 825

 It looks like the rest of the day is going to pass unscripted, and I am good with that  So good with that, that I have just escaped to my room.  I have badly been needing, and missing, time by myself.  This is, after all, despite all intents and purposes, supposed to be a retreat.  This might also be a good time to catch up on my reading.  I have barely touched any of the three novels that Robert Griffin gave me to read while here.  I suppose it could also be said that right now I am living in a novel.  Aaron's great unfolding saga of magic realism.  I wonder what he's really up to.  Instead of lying stretched out on my bed, I have opted to sit in the comfy chair with my laptop.  I have an email.

It is from Deacon Jenkins from the church, who was also managing the affairs with the family home.  Unlike the other clergy, this one stands on formality.  No first name basis here.  And he's not even that old.  Hardly fifty.  Let's see what he has to tell me: The subject line doesn't say a lot, just "tenants."

"Hello Christopher:


I hope this day finds you well.  I understand that Father Robert Griffin arranged a retreat for you and I hope it is going well.  Here, unfortunately, I have some rather sad and sudden news.  The Ugandan ordinand who was staying in your father's home with his family has suddenly vacated and without notice.  No clear explanation has been given, but he said in an email that he cannot abide the moral laxity of the church in this diocese, has changed his plans, and has returned, immediately, with his family, to Africa..  I understand that they were scheduled to stay until December of this year, and we do know of another family that would like to stay there until that time.  Of course, the house and its affairs are all in your name, and this of course will be respected.  


Do enjoy your time away, especially with this horrible pandemic.


All the best, with blessings


Deacon Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment