Wednesday 29 March 2023

The Peacock 832

"But with your wealth, with your assets, you could buy yourself a very lovely home, anywhere, even in hideously expensive Vancouver."

"I don't want to live alone.  Especially not in a big beautiful house.  But I don't want to stay here.  I can't stay here.  I will happily cede this place to my mother if she wants to start a new community here.  Melissa can do what she wants, but she would probably want to stay with Mom.  She is very loyal to her, even if she does drive her crazy. 

"She drives you both crazy."

"Well, she is our mother.  Would you like me to come and live with you?"

"I don't see why not.  But let's start with my father's house at UBC."

"I will pay all your property tax."

"That is generous of you.  It's a pretty ordinary house, by the way, not big.  Could you get used to that?"

"I 've lived in small places in Amsterdam and in Zurich.  This wouldn't be an adjustment."

"Do we have a timeline in mind?"

"I say we wait till at least September", says Carl.  "First we have to figure out what mother plans to do with her two little friends.  "And by then, your Swedish friend will need to be settled there for his studies....

No comments:

Post a Comment