Tuesday 7 March 2023

The Peacock 810

I must have gone immediately to sleep.  I don't know for how long, but it must have been for a couple of hours.  It was hard to say, because there were no clocks anywhere to be seen, plus, my wristwatch had ceased to operate. The boy was still in the armchair, and appeared to be dozing since his head was bowed down.   I didn't feel like moving, so I studied him for a while.  He had very beautiful hair, a bit long, slightly curly, and an almost shining tawny gold colour.   I said he looked around sixteen, but there was something about him that suggested an incredible wisdom and integrity.  His eyes opened, and he raised his head.  "I trust that you slept well", he said smiling.  "Incredibly well", I replied.  "And how about you?"  "Very  well", he said.  "You know", I said, "if you are ever tired, you are always welcome to sleep beside me on the bed here."  he smiled serenely and replied, "Thank you.  That is not going to be necessary..."Then, impaling me with a very inquisitorial stare he said, "For you to heal, you must sleep alone.  But take comfort, because I will always be with you.  Now, let's go  downstairs for lunch..."

No comments:

Post a Comment